Thursday, February 7, 2008

Morning Rush





There's nothing quite like getting up for work in the morning and arriving at the office with Georges "Rush" St-Pierre waiting for you to call him on the phone.

I recently had the chance to interview the UFC Interim Welterweight Champion, an opportunity I've been dreaming about, but something I never thought I'd get to do. Just a few days prior to our conversation, I was grieving over not being able to go to our photo shoot with GSP, only to be surprised by my editor's request that I conduct the interview. (Many thanks to Doug, btw!)

When you get the chance to personally speak to one of the best UFC fighters in the world, you don't pass it up. My main reservation, though, was in my ability to hold it together. I mean, how do you avoid stammering like a fangirl when you're talking to one of the most talented--and hottest--MMA stars in the biz? With some self-assurance, and a serious reminder by Doug, I was, however, able to keep my composure.



I woke up early for the big day, focused and surprisingly not too nervous. To carry the confidence and professionalism further, I psyched myself out by dressing up for the phone interview as if I were going to meet Georges personally. My recently ordered red Fleur de Lis bikini hadn't arrived in the mail yet, so I opted instead for designer jeans, red boots and a velvet Mandarin collar jacket. To my credit, I would have fit right in at Hollywood's Chateau Marmont writing a story for Vanity Fair.

The original plan was to expect a call around 10:30am, but when the appointment time rolled around, my phone had yet to ring. I waited 10 more minutes (after all, celebrities can sometimes run on Filipino time, too), until I got an email instructing me to call GSP directly. I was already anxious, but the idea of me calling him made me all the more excited. It was like the feeling you get in junior high when you're calling that boy you like, except this time you couldn't giggle like a little girl and hang up.

Four rings and his sweet French-Canadian accent resonates on the other line with a very enthusiastic "Hello!" Just to be sure, I timidly ask "Is this Georges St-Pierre?" followed by another jovial response of "Yes, it is me!" Trying not to lose it, I rattle off some elementary-level French...and the interview is underway.

For obvious reasons, I can't go into the details here (you'll have to wait for it to be published in Ultimate Grappling), but I can now personally affirm that the stories about Georges' legendary professionalism are, in fact, true. Ever the gentleman and willing to give you some of his time, it was such a pleasure to speak with the 26-year-old Montreal native for those fast, but blissful, 15 minutes--an experience I will not soon forget.

Reveling in the memory later that day, I realized (thanks to my best friend, Stacy Ann) that for once I was really present in the moment. I was able to let go of the daydream world (one in which Georges and I are actually involved in each other's lives...and engaged), because I was so happy to live in the real one. I was living the fantasy.

The phone call was already a thrill in itself, but I can't ignore the remarkable realization that also came from it. I spend a lot of time imagining how I'd like my life to be--colorful delusions of grandeur and all--so it's exhilarating that I was able to manifest some of those reveries into real life.

No, nothing beats waking up in the morning and feeling the rush of living your passion and doing what you love. GSP understands it, often dubbing his role in the UFC as being "the best job in the world"; a number of my friends understand it; I understand it...and I hope it is something that you do (or someday will) experience, as well. Because truly your passion is something worth fighting for.

A bientot,
aCg









No comments: